PROJECT NAME: Artillo
A pillow shaped device designed to make digital art more accessible.
+ DESIGN TEAM: Mind-Controlling Cats
- Christina Lafontaine – Tech Mentor
- Omar Nasr – MOUSE Corps Member
- Carlos Cruz – MOUSE Corps Member
- Aayman Abdellatif – MOUSE Corps Member
- Seleste Estrada Orrego – MOUSE Corps Member
- Mickell Ford – MOUSE Corps Member
- Navisha Dhanda – MOUSE Corps Member
+ PARTS LIST:
- Blue and Orange Fleece (or whatever colors you wish to substitute)
- Stuffing Cotton
- Stitch-Witchery (and a Steam Iron to apply it)
- Thin Metal Wire
- Sowing Needle and Thread
- 24 wires
- 3 Pressure Sensors
- Soldering Iron
- Firmata Library
+ IMPLEMENTATION TUTORIAL:
With the Blue Fleece, cut out 2 pieces with a shape similar to the image below:
The correct measurements will most likely be found through trial and error. If using a scaled version of this image, make sure to use the outermost border.
Place one of the U-shaped fleece pieces flat on a iron-resistant surface. Then, put pieces of Stitch-Witchery along the border of the fleece except for a small space along the border, which will be used to stuff the pillow. Next, align the second U-shaped fleece piece on top of the first. Follow the instructions on the box of Stitch-Witchery to apply it. Alternatively, these pieces can be sown by hand along the border. If this is done, again, ensure that part of the fleece is left unsown to allow for stuffing.
With the newly sown piece, bend the metal wire so that it runs along the very edge. Next, hand sow the wire onto the fleece. Then, set aside the fleece.
For setting up the Arduino, refer to the SIK Guide, linked below:
Circuit #10 is the set up you should use for the 3 sensors.
The code used for the Artillo is in the Google Document linked below:
Once the Arduino is set up and the code is uploaded onto it, turn the U-shaped joint fleece piece inside out, through the gap in the stitch left from earlier. Then, fix one of the sensors into the inner left (or right, if the gap is closer to the left). Stuff the pillow halfway, while holding the sensor in place (use the template from earlier to place the sensors, place them around where the orange lines are drawn). Next, fix the Arduino and the 2nd sensor in the middle, and continue stuffing until the second orange line (from the template). Fix the sensor onto that point, then finish stuffing.
Sow on the zipper onto the gap.
The main body is finished! Complete the aesthetics using the Orange (or other color fleece) to decorate.
+ FUTURE STEPS:
- Separate attachable pillows that would allow for more customization with sensor placement
- Additional sensors to allow for more settings to be adjusted
- Integration with more complex and preexisting digital art programs (such as Art Rage)
+ VIDEO DEMO: